Being Marge: Yes and No

Monday, January 2, 2017

Yes and No

Quinoa




After a fun and festive holiday season, I'm ready to realign my daily eating habits with one of my favorite methods. I call it the "Yes and No" list. I simply list nutritious foods I enjoy in the "Yes" column and those that I want to avoid eating in the "No" column. I keep the list on the kitchen counter and consult it when I'm making the weekly menu and shopping list and preparing daily meals.

My "Yes and No" list currently has the following entries:

Yes:

Romaine lettuce
Spinach
Turnip
Squash
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Asparagus
Kale
Sweet potatoes
Green and red peppers Tomatoes
Onions and scallions
Garlic
Seeds
Nuts - walnuts, cashews, almonds
Granny Smith apples
Bananas
Grapes
Avocados
Pineapple
Watermelon
Berries
Eggs
Low fat Greek yoghurt
Organic butter
Nut butters
Olive oil
Coconut oil
Balsamic vinegar
Apple cider vinegar
Chicken
Beef
Pork
Fish
Beans (especially red, black, and pinto beans)
Brown rice
Quinoa
Oatmeal
Dark chocolate
Coffee
Green and black tea
Almond and coconut milk
Raisins
Dates
Prunes
100% maple sugar


No:

Non-organic butter
Pasta
Dairy
Bread
Sugar
Cookies
Crackers
Cheese, except Parmesan and Mozzarella
Chips and pretzels
Cereal
Wraps
Pizza
Peanut butter
Hot chocolate



I'm not a nutritionist, but I like to cook and I enjoy a tasty meal. This list points me in the right direction, and I know if I stick by it in combination with my daily exercise program, I will jump right back on the path of health and fitness that's best for me. I'm looking forward to eating a lot of foods in the "Yes" column in 2017!